You feel a deep and growing conviction that you must do something to disciple your daughter. But what? How can a busy mom make sure that her daughter learns about the most important things in life: what Jesus did for her on the cross and how to be faithful to him in this broken world?
Author Trish Donohue has been there, and that’s why she wrote Between Us Girls: Walks and Talks for Moms and Daughters. These twenty-six gospel-driven talks are a fun and easy guide for mothers who want to disciple their daughters but don’t know where to start. In each short chapter, moms and daughters read God’s Word, ask one another questions about their thoughts and experiences, get honest about their struggles with sin, brainstorm ways to live out their faith, and build genuine fellowship into their relationship.
Between Us Girls is more than a devotional; it’s a conversation guide, and the twenty-six “chats” are just the beginning. Ultimately, Donohue’s book teaches mothers and daughters a new way to communicate and starts them on a wonderful, lifelong journey of getting to know one another better and learning to love their Savior more.
Between Us Girls was written by a busy mom for busy moms, so no prep time is needed! Just schedule some time with your daughter, grab this book, head to your destination of choice, and cherish every moment you share with your girl.
My Take on Between Us Girls
My sweet little girl is only 3-and-a-half, but she is growing faster than I could have ever imagined. When the opportunity to receive a free copy of Between Us Girls in exchange for an honest review, I jumped at the chance!
Who should pick up BUGs? Any mom who wants or needs a starting point for important conversations with their daughter. I imagine these conversations would be best utilized with girls between the ages of 7yrs-18yrs. I understand that is a rather wide range, but these conversations would be wonderful for girls before hitting puberty, during the tumultuous time of middle school, or as a way to reconnect or solidify your relationship in high school.
To be honest, you don’t have to be a mom to utilize this book. If you mentor or have a girl who calls you mom because you love her like a daughter. Then I would highly recommend picking up BUGs. (Keep reading for a chance to win a copy).
What I love about BUGs.
- Each conversation is well organized and Donohue covers conversation from friendships and clothing to the Church and prayer. I imagine we could all think of a dozen more topics for Donohue to add, but all-in-all I think she did an excellent job choosing the right ones for book one (kinda hoping there will be a book two!).
- Donohue doesn’t hold back. The 27th conversation is aptly titled Our Protection. Here Donohue covers the hard but vital topic of sexual abuse. The chapter is will thought out.
- These conversations aren’t super long, only 3-4 pages each. How long you take to talk about each one is up to you and your daughter/niece/granddaughter/step-daughter. Plus, you can complete these conversations in any order you want!
- All you need is this book and your Bible! If y’all want to, you could always purchase a journal for each of you to keep as you go through these conversations.
What I don’t love about BUGs.
- My daughter is 3-and-a-half so I can’t go through this book with her…yet!
- I would have liked to see room to journal in the pages of the book itself. Perhaps a few lines after each question or lines to write out the Bible verses you are to look up. This way the book becomes a shared mother-daughter journal.
If you are interested in winning a copy of Between Us Girls. Read on!
Tricia Donohue is a wife and mom who writes from her kitchen table in West Chester, PA. A desire to disciple her girls paired with a love for writing inspired this book. She and her husband, Jim, have two sons and two daughters. They attend Covenant Fellowship Church in Glen Mills, PA, where Jim serves as a pastor. You can find her at your website Reminding Myself or on LitFuse.
Ok moms, mentors, and daughters! Here is your chance to win a copy of Between Us Girls or give as a gift to a mom/daughter of your choice! Leave a comment below sharing why you want to win a copy or why you want to gift this to a mom-daughter you know. It’s that simple!
All entries must be in by Sunday evening. I will contact the winner Monday morning (July 11th).